Hard Cheese Kit
Why pay gourmet prices when you can make your own.
The Hard Cheese Kit Makes 9 Delicious Cheeses:
- Large Curd Cottage Cheese
- Farmhouse Cheddar
- Monterey Jack
Why pay gourmet prices when you can learn to make your very own "additive and preservative-free" cheeses? All your family will join you in the fun of this tradition!
This is a Beginner Cheese Kit, ideal for those with no cheese making experience.
The kit comes with a detailed easy to follow directions demystifying the steps in the art of cheese making, and can be used with regular full cream milk, straight from the supermarket.
How Does It Work?
Making Hard Cheese is fun and easy, and most hard cheeses are made with these simple steps;
- Milk is warmed
- Starter culture and rennet are added
- The milk coagulates into a single curd
- The curd is cut and stirred to drain off whey
- The curd is sometimes heated and/or pressed, to remove even more whey
- The curd is moulded and shaped into a cheese, salting takes place before or after this process
- The cheese is matured or aged under controlled conditions
This Kit Contains:
- Instruction Booklet
- 200 mm Dairy Thermometer
- 10 Vegetable Rennet Tablets
- 2 x Direct Inoculation Mesophilic Hard Curd Starter Culture (100 Litre sachet - from SACCO)
- 165 mm Cheese Basket and Follower
- Sample Block of Cheese Wax
- Natural bristle Wax Brush
- Loose Weave Cheese Cloth
- 50 ml Calcium Chloride
- 250 gm Cheese Salt
- 2 x Free Sterile Jars, for storing the culture
You Will Need: (most of which can be found in your kitchen)
- Stainless steel pot to place your milk in large enough to hold eight to ten litres
- A second, larger pot to place your first pot in, to act as a water jacket, so you can indirectly heat your milk
- Large stainless steel or enamel colander
- Stainless steel perforated spoon
- Stainless steel curd knife
- Stainless steel ladle
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mini measuring spoons (optional)
- Somewhere to age your cheese (10 to 15 deg C)
How Much Does It Make?
All of these cheeses use the same culture, and our new kit comes with 2 sachets of culture containing a total of 24 doses. Make all of the cheeses, or make your favourite cheese 24 times!
How Do I Store The Ingredients?
We ship these products Australia wide, however this kit contains ingredients that do require long term storage in a freezer, on arrival. Extended time out of a freezer will decrease the shelf life.
Shelf Life of Cultures:
When stored correctly freeze dried lactic cultures are typically viable long after any date on the pack.
Dosing Cheese Culture:
We are often asked "if my culture pack is enough for 100 litres, how do I work out how much to use for four or eight litres"?
|Brand||Green Living Australia|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Green Living Australia (QLD) Pty. Ltd. users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.