Bread & Butter Pickles
- 7 1/2 litres (16 cups) sliced medium cucumbers
- 8 medium white onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup pickling salt
- 3 cloves garlic, halved
- cracked ice
- 4 cups of sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 tbs mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- In an 8-10 litre stainless steel, enamelled or nonstick kettle combine cucumbers, onions, pickling salt, and garlic. Add 50 mm of cracked ice. Cover with lid and refrigerate for 3 to 12 hours. Remove any remaining ice. Drain mixture well in a large colander. Remove garlic.
- In the kettle combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, turmeric, and celery seeds. Heat to boiling. Add cucumber mixture. Return to boiling.
- Pack hot cucumber mixture and liquid into hot, sterilized pint canning jars, leaving a 12 mm head space. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boil).
- Remove jars and cool on racks.
Didn't find the information you need? Please try another category from the menu or use our search function to find what you are looking for. If you require further assistance please contact us.