Margaret is one of our favourite customers and often visits our shop, sharing her preserving and cheese making adventures with us. Margaret has also bought samples in for us to try. Margaret's cheeses are very good, but her Kimchi is simply awesome, so here is her recipe.
- Half a wombok chop into 4 pieces
- 4 carrots very finely sliced
- 2 nashi pears very finely sliced
- 1 small Chinese reddish very finely sliced
- 1 whole knob of garlic very finely sliced
- 2 inch piece ginger, julienned
- 1 bunch shallots chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoon of salt
You can add more garlic and ginger if you like.
Making the Paste
Blend the following:
- 1 knob of garlic
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- 1 small Chinese radish
- 2 nashi pears
- 1/4 cup Kim Chi paste
(add more Korean chillies if you like it hot)
- splash of fish sauce
- sugar to taste
Vigorously stir 1 heaped tablespoon of ground glutinous rice starch and 1/2 cup of water, on low heat until it turns white, and as a very thick consistency and bubbles whilst being stirred. Mix in your LPRA vegetable culture and the blended paste ingredients.
- Sprinkle your vegetable mix with salt and rub in until juices start to run.
- Mix in paste.
- Place into your fermentation jars or crock, remembering to release the gas build up daily if using closed jars.
Didn't find the information you need? Please try another category from the menu or use our search function to find what you are looking for. If you require further assistance please contact us.