- Cut the tops and roots off flush with the beets. Scrub thoroughly.
- Place the beets on a rack in a large roaster. Cover and bake at 200 degrees C until tender, about one hour for medium-sized beets. Meanwhile pre heat your jars in hot water.
- In a large saucepan, mix the vinegar, sugar, water and salt. Heat to boiling.
- When the beets are tender, remove the roaster from the oven and fill with cold water. When cool enough to handle, slip the skins off the beets.
- Pack the beets, whole or cut in hot jars. Add brine to cover. Leave 1.5cm headspace. Put on new lids and tighten finger tight.
- Process for 30 minutes once water has returned to the boil. (This is the boiling water bath method.)
- Cool jars. Check seals. Label and store.
See these instructions plus photographs of the steps on Valerie's Blog.
This category is empty! Please try another category or use our search function to find what you are looking for. If you require further assistance please contact us.