We you know the story of the mango tree destruction in my back yard, if you have read the post on Mango chutney. But there is only so much mango chutney a girl can make in one week. Mango Jam was my next mission.
- 450 grams peeled and chopped ripe mango
- 450 grams sugar
- Two tablespoon lemon juice.
- Two tablespoons of water
- Place the mango, water and lemon juice in your preserving pan. Simmer gently until the fruit is soft.
- Add the sugar and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and boil rapidly, until set point is achieved. The setting point of jam is 105 degree.
- To test for set point place a small plate in the fridge to chill. When you are ready to test for set point, remove the jam from the heat, to avoid overcooking it, and place a teaspoon of the jam on the chilled plate and place the plate back in the fridge for a minute or two. Remove the plate and with your finger tip, push the jam. If the surface of the jam wrinkles, the jam is set.
This jam was a big hit and we used two jars in the first two days!!! Enjoy!