The prices of apricots at the fresh fruit and veggie markets are now at their best. I have seen good quality fruit at $1.99 a kilo and even better priced for larger quantities. This simple and delicious recipe was taken from the book The Basic Basics Jams, Preserves and Chutneys Handbook by Marguerite Patten
- 450 grams apricots
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- 450 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Halve the fruit and remove the stones.
2. Put the fruit into the preserving pan and add the water to the fruit. Use the smaller amount if the fruit is ripe and the larger quantity if less than ripe.
3. Simmer gently until soft and then add the sugar and lemon juice.
4. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then boil rapidly until setting point has been reached. (Between 104 and 105 degrees C using a thermometer that clips to the side of the pot
5. Stir to distribute the fruit and then spoon into your hot, sterilized, 375 to 500ml jars, leaving a 1.5cm head space. Cap with your sterilised new lids
6. Process in a boiling water bath
for 10 minutes. Remove the jars from the boiling water bath with your jar lifter
and allow to cool.
This jam was a big success and I had to doubled the recipe to be sure I had enough for all my friends and neighbours. Have a go at this simple jam and you won't be disappointed with the results.